Vegetarian Chili with Acorn Squash
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
February 27th, 2019
This chili’s flavours meld together for a delicious taste and is guaranteed to warm you from the inside-out during those cooler winter days.
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Cook Time: 35 Mins Prep Time: 5 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
- 2 preferably organic acorn squashes cubed (Keep the skin on its organic and peel it off if it’s not organic)
- 1 or 2 teaspoon ground chili pepper (choose paprika for less heat)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 2 red organic peppers (check clean fifty guide in resources)
- 2 celery sticks
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 BPA free cans beans of choice, chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans
- 2 BPA free cans diced organic tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water or organic vegetable broth
- Cut acorn into cubes.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- Peel and mince your garlic.
- Halve, deseed and roughly chop the peppers.
- Cut up the celery sticks into half inch pieces
- Heat 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat, add the garlic and onions and cook for a couple of minutes then add chili or paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and coriander and cook for another 5 minutes
- Drain and add the beans, the diced tomatoes with liquid and the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, add the acorn squash and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Delicious served with grass-fed sour cream, Grated grass fed cheddar, a side of basmati brown or white rice or Non-gmo and a few Organic tortilla chips.