Vegetarian Two Bean Middle Eastern Stew
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
January 22nd, 2020
An Ultimate Source of Protein and Fibre.
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 25 Mins
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large organic green bell sliced lengthwise
- 1 14-ounce BPA Free diced tomatoes
- 1 can 15-ounce BPA Free chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 can 15-ounce BPA Free fava beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lemons halved
- Mince all 4 cloves of garlic and set aside to let it breathe for 10 minutes. This will increase its anti-oxidant value.
- Now chop your red onion and green pepper
- In a small bowl combine your dried spices (salt, paprika, sumac, salt, pepper, cumin and coriander). Mix to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir around for a minute or so then add the onions. Stir occasionally for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent
- Add the beans followed by the diced tomato (include juice) reduce heat to medium and cook for another 5minutes, stirring occasionally until everything is well-combined. Squeeze half a lemon over each serving and top with chopped parsley.