Ultimate Leek and Potato Soup
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
December 10th, 2019
It’s potato and leek season which is great news because the combination of leeks and potatoes is not only nutritious and delicious, but it’s also an age-old recipe that can fill your belly and warm you up for the winter season.
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 30 – 45 Mins Total Time: 55 Mins
- 1/2 stick of grass-fed butter or 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups of organic vegetable, chicken or beef broth/stock
- 8-10 small potatoes cubed or cut into 1/8
- 2 leeks tops removed and chopped
- Kernels of 1 ear of corn
- 3 cloves of garlic minced or pressed through a garlic press.
- Bunch of parsley
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot to medium heat and melt a half stick of butter.
- Add garlic and leeks with some cracked black pepper and a sprinkle sea salt (not too much salt because there’s already some in the stock/broth). Sauté for 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- Shave off the kernels of one ear of corn and add it into the leeks and garlic. Stir to mix well.
- Add the potatoes and mix with all ingredients. You can peel the potatoes in advance if you like but you don’t have to, especially if you have organic potatoes without pesticides. Many of the nutrients of the potatoes are found in the skin (red-skinned will have more anti-oxidants than white-skinned potatoes).
- Add the broth/stock, bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are soft and corn kernels cooked.
- Once cooked, take one-half of the soup mixture out of the pot and mash or blend until smooth. Add the blended half of the soup mixture back into the pot and stir well. This will make the soup nice and thick, but still chunky. If you want to thin it out, add some more broth or water and keep cooking a little longer.
- Finally, add the bunch of chopped parsley. Leave covered for 5 minutes so that the parsley can integrate into the other ﬂavours.