Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
November 28th, 2018
Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup is a zesty, low fat, gluten free meal with an easy low carb option!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 6 Servings Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 40 Mins Total Time: 50 Mins
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 fajita seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup brown rice, optional
- Possible Garnishes: Reduced Fat Cheese Scallions, Avocado
FOR RASPBERRY LAYER:
- 2 cups (225 g) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup (50 g) melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (100 g) maple syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup raspberry reduction (Note 1)
- Place a large sauce 6-8 quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add whole chicken breasts, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, 1 fajita seasoning packet, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. If adding rice, stir it in with an additional 2 cups of water. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Allow the soup to continue simmering to fully cook the rice, another 10-15 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes, then shred with two forks.
- Once the rice is tender, add the shredded chicken back to the soup. Taste, add salt and pepper as needed.
Note: This soup has a nice light fajita flavor. If you like a more robust soup, use the fajita packet + 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 fresh chopped jalapeno.
For a low carb option, omit the brown rice.