Sicilian Tomato Sauce
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
October 2nd, 2019
Nothing beats a fresh homemade tomato sauce!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 5 Mins Cook Time: 60 – 90 Mins Total Time: 65 – 95 Mins
Tomatoes are a very high source of vitamin C and lycopene – an antioxidant known to fight breast & prostate cancer. What’s great is that olive oil not only brings out the flavor of the tomatoes and the garlic, but it also increases the absorption of the cancer-fighting lycopene and powerful immune-boosting properties of the garlic!
- 2 x 750g (or 26oz) cans of strained tomatoes
- 2 red or yellow onions chopped finely
- 1 tbs organic sugar (to be used as a SPICE)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- Leaves of a bunch of basil
- Heat a pot to medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the onions to pot, and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the basil, sugar, salt, and strained tomatoes. Mix well. Increase heat to high until the mixture boils. Then turn down the heat, cover the mixture and let simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- Taste – add a bit more salt if needed.