One-Skillet Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
September 26th, 2018
The recipe is easy, ready in 15 minutes, healthy, and made in one skillet. Everything is covered with a tangy yet mildly sweet balsamic glaze. It’s perfectly thick and clings to the chicken and seeps into the crevices of the broccoli.
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 4 Servings Prep Time: 5 Mins Cook Time: 10 Mins Total Time: 15 Mins
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp olive oil for sauce + 2 tbsp for cooking
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 4 thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), seasoned with salt and pepper
- about 2 cups broccoli florets
- about 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas (peapods may be substituted)
- 2 to 4 tsp water, optional and if necessary
- To a medium bowl or large measuring cup, add the balsamic vinegar, honey, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and whisk to combine; set sauce aside.
- To a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, add the chicken breasts, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until chicken is about 75% cooked through. Flip chicken halfway through cooking. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces.
- Add the sauce, noting that it may bubble up in the first few seconds.
- Add the vegetables, evenly sprinkled over the skillet, some will be on top of the chicken. If necessary add 2 to 4 tablespoons water to help the vegetables steam. Adding water will vary based on the amount of natural juices the chicken released while cooking. Cover skillet and allow vegetables to steam for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through. Stir to evenly coat vegetables with sauce. Serve cold or reheat gently prior to serving if desired.