Lentil And Pumpkin Stew
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
February 19th, 2020
Deliciously Rich In Vitamin A
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 30 Mins Total Time: 50 Mins
- 3 cups – local pumpkin or squash cubed
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 2 small – onions, diced
- 1 14oz can BPA free diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves -garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon – turmeric ground
- ¼ teaspoon – paprika
- A pinch of garam masala
For the Topping:
- 1 tablespoon – ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 sprig curry leaf (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the lentils in a ¼ cup of water for 10 mins.Meanwhile, crush the garlic, peel and cut the pumpkin in cubes and chop the onions.
- In a medium saucepan add the ingredients listed above, along with the water used to soak the lentils. Add more water until the vegetables are barely immersed. Cook covered over medium heat stirring occasionally until the lentils are cooked(20-25 mins).
- In a small frying pan heat the ghee, mustard and cumin seeds. Let it crackle and then add the curry leaf.
- Add the spiced mixture cooked in ghee to the cooked pumpkin stew along with grated coconut and cilantro.
- Mix well and serve over quinoa, or enjoy it by itself.