Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
December 4th, 2019
Believe it or not, Kale can handle the harsh winter temperatures we experience in Canada and are still readily available at your local farmers’ market this time of year!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time (Croutons): 30 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
- 2 Bunches of any type of Kale
- Juice of 1 whole Lemon
- 3 TBS of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic minced
- Pinch of red pepper chili flakes (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2-3 slices sourdough bread to make homemade croutons (Optional)
- Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- (If making croutons) Bring oven to 400 degrees – With a bread knife slice 2-3 slices of sourdough bread into cubes and spread them on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Tear the leaves from the midribs and cut them into 2-4 inch pieces, wash and set aside.
- Put the cloves through a garlic press or chop it up finely.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and chili flakes (optional).
- Taste dressing to make sure there’s enough salt and lemon add more if needed.
- Add the dressing to the kale and toss.
- Grate about a half a cup up of the cheese and mix it in.