Delicata “Sweet Potato” Squash
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
October 23rd, 2019
Celebrating with friends and family? Surprise them with a delicata squash!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 5 Mins Cook Time: 30 Mins Total Time: 35 Mins
Whether it’s an acorn, spaghetti, sweet potato, or butternut squash, the pigment that’s present in the orange-yellowish flesh of these winter squashes is known as beta carotene. (the darker the flesh, the more nutritious) When we consume these squashes, the beta-carotene is either converted into Vitamin A, or it acts as an antioxidant to help protect the body’s cells from the damaging effects of harmful free radicals.
- 2-4 delicata squash, depending on size
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil, grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat Oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Clean the delicata squash, as their skin is edible.
- Slice it in half (lengthwise) and remove the seeds.
- Lather with extra virgin olive oil, room temperature grass-fed or coconut oil.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for approx 30 minutes, or until fully cooked.