Beet and Garlic Hummus
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
April 1st, 2020
Anti-oxidant rich and Immune-boosting!
See below for the full recipe.
Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 45 Mins Total Time: 1 Hour
- 2 cups BPA free can organic chickpeas
- 2 medium beets boiled (save a few TBS of the water)
- 3 tbsp tahini paste
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped (depends how garlicky you want it)
- Juice of 1 lemon and lemon zest
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cilantro to top
- Place the 2 beets unpeeled in a saucepan with enough water so that the beets are submerged.
- Add a tsp of seas salt. Bring to boil and cook until done about 45 minutes. Once done, set aside until cooled.
- Meanwhile, chop your garlic, squeeze your lemons and grate your zest.
- Once your beets are ready to handle peel off the skin of the beets and cubed them into 1-inch pieces.
- In a food processor and in the following order add olive oil, lemon juice and zest, chopped garlic cloves, tahini paste, spices, sea salt and pepper beets and chickpeas.
- Turn your food processor on and begin to pulverize your mixture. You may need to add a bit of the beet water so that it doesn’t clump up.
- Once the hummus has gotten smooth taste to see if it needs more sea salt.
- Place it in a bowl and top it with chopped parsley or cilantro.