Balsamic Beet Salad
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
February 12th, 2020
Nutrient-Dense And Delicious
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 50 Mins Total Time: 60 Mins
- 4 medium beets, whole, scrubbed and trimmed (leave an inch of the stem as it’ll preserve more of the nutrients in the beets as they cook)
- 3/4 cup microgreens of any kind (sunflower sprouts, pea shoots or radish sprouts, or a mixture of all three)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle
- Toss the beets in extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and put them in the oven at 425 F for about 45 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the beets are roasting, add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then immediately lower the heat and simmer until it’s reduced to a quarter cup (approximately 4-5 minutes). Set aside.
- Once the beets are done, set them aside to cool. While beets are cooling, arrange your micro-greens evenly on a large plate or shallow bowl.
- Once beets are cooled, slip o the skin and slice them into 1/4 inch pieces and place them evenly on top of the microgreens that you’ve laid out.
- Crumble the goat cheese on top, followed by the pumpkin seeds. Finally, use a spoon to drizzle your reduced balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil across the salad.
NOTE: Don’t commit a culinary crime by tossing out your beet greens. They are high in calcium, iron and folic acid. Enjoy them by sautéing in a little garlic and olive oil, and top them with the balsamic reduction if you have any leftovers from the salad.