Turmeric & Coconut Quinoa
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
February 6th, 2019
Quinoa is a superfood on its own, but mix it up with some turmeric and coconut milk, and you create a delicious and unique flavour that doubles as a balanced and nutritious meal.
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Cook Time: 20 Mins Prep Time: 5 Mins Total Time: 25 Mins
- 1 tbsp of Coconut oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small – onion, diced
- 3 cloves – garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon – freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 tsp – ground turmeric
- 1 cup – (8 oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, and salt, sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is golden.
- Add turmeric and quinoa to the pan and stir for 1- 2 minutes. Now pour in the coconut milk and vegetable broth (or water). Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiled, cover saucepan and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and rest the pan for few minutes then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
Note: 1 part Quinoa and 2 parts water is usually used to cook quinoa. If preferred a little al dente, then you can use 1 parts of liquid.