Sweet Potato Tots
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
March 21st, 2018
Sweet potato tots are the tastiest way to sneak some extra vegetables into your diet!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 30 Servings Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 30 mins
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 egg yolk or 1 tablespoon flaxseed in 2 tbps water
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1 small brown onion finely grated
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 cup breadcrumb
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro or fresh herb of your choice (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place sweet potatoes on baking tray, and use fork to pick holes all over. Bake for 30 minutes or until easily skewered.
- Remove from the oven and cool down 10 minutes before handling. Carefully slice sweet potatoes half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the flesh.
- Place the sweet potato flesh in a large mixing bowl. Cool down until it reaches room temperature before you combine with the other ingredients.
- Add egg yolk, grated cheddar, grated onion, crushed garlic, breadcrumb, fresh herbs and salt. Combine with a spoon until it forms a mash that you can easily handle with your hands to shape small tots.
- Use your hands to shape the sweet potato tots and place them on a baking tray leaving half thumb space between each tots.
- Bake at 400° F for 20 – 30 minutes or until the outside is crispy and slightly golden brown. The center will stay soft and moist.
- Serve with extra dipping sauce like ketchup or guacamole for a healthier choice.