Sweet Potato, Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
February 28th, 2018
Healthy breakfast burritos stuffed with sweet potatoes, black beans, egg whites, and avocado. You’re going to love this protein-packed breakfast!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 6 Servings Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 5 mins Total time: 25 mins
- 6 low carb whole wheat tortillas
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1-5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- few dashes of red pepper flakes, if desired
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican or Colby jack cheese
- 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- Pierce sweet potatoes with fork a few times. Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until cooked though. This may take up to 10 minutes depending on how thick your sweet potatoes are. Alternatively, roast in the oven at 400° degrees for 45 minutes.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked, remove the skins and place potatoes in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, add black beans, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes if desired. Stir to combine the set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat egg whites together. Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add in egg whites and cook. Fold every few minutes to get fluffy eggs. Once cooked, remove from heat.
- Warm up tortillas for 10-20 seconds in microwave before assembling. Lay out tortillas and evenly distribute and spread mashed sweet potato on each. Evenly distribute egg whites, diced avocado, black beans, and shredded cheese on each tortilla. Drizzle tablespoon of enchilada sauce in each. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Tuck ends in, then roll up burritos.
- Warm in oven at 300° degrees for 5 – 10 minutes or simply microwave them for a minute or two.