Homemade Tomato Sauce
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
May 8th, 2019
Nothing beats a freshly homemade tomato sauce. Tomatoes are a very high source of vitamin C and lycopene – an anti-oxidant known to fight breast and prostate cancer. Here’s a quick way to make your own!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 45 Mins Total Time: 55 Mins
- 4 large organic or sustainably grown beefsteak tomatoes or 5-6 Roma tomatoes cored and speared in a few areas
- 3 medium onions halved
- One whole garlic bulb or 6 cloves
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 mildly hot red pepper like carmen italian
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to generously coat all the tomatoes, onions, garlic and peppers
- A good amount of sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs of dried basil
- Heat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place all vegetables in oven pan.
- Roast for 45 minutes until everything is really soft.
- Drain in a food processor or blender
- Add fresh or dried basil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Store away until your next pasta dish!