Ground Turkey Stew
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
January 10th, 2018
Sweet pieces of turkey meat, soft white beans, chewy kale, tangy Kalamata olives in a savoury tomato broth – this ground turkey vegetable stew is delicious!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Servings Per recipe: 6
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lb ground turkey, extra lean
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 14 oz can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 tsp oregano, thyme or Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in halves
- 4 cups kale, coarsely chopped & packed
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat dutch oven or large heavy bottom pot on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute for 5 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add turkey and cook for 12-13 minutes, breaking into pieces and stirring every few minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, water, beans, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaves, then stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn oﬀ the heat and add lemon juice, olives and kale, then stir, cover and let stand a few minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Add basil and parsley, stir again and it’s best to let the flavours “marry” each other for 10 minutes or so. Discard the bay leaves and serve hot.