Date and Coconut Chocolate Balls
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
May 1st, 2019
The combination of fiber, protein & a low glycemic index means enjoying dates won’t cause major spikes in blood sugar levels. This recipe is simple, nutritious and delicious. The combination of coconut, nuts and spices lowers the glycemic index even more. These guys are finger licking good, guaranteed!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 10 Ball Prep Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 15 Mins
- 2 cups organic pitted dates
- 3/4 cup Grated/shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup Walnuts or almonds
- 1/3 cup 100% fair trade cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon or cardamom
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg optional
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbs virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- Place the nuts in the bowl of the food processor and process until roughly chopped.
- Add the dates, coconut oil, cacao powder, 1/2 cup of the shredded coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt and vanilla, turn food processor on until well combined. If it gets too dry, add a little more coconut oil!
- With a tablespoon, scoop out some of the date mixture and roll into golf sized balls.
- Put the remaining 1/4 shredded coconut in a
bowl and then take each ball and roll to coat with shredded coconut. Add more if you don’t have enough for each ball
- Once the balls are rolled, get yourself a lidded glass container or BPA plastic container 10 balls. Line a piece of parchment paper place a a few balls and repeat!