Creamy Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad with Roasted Vegetables
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
August 1st, 2018
This creamy pasta salad recipe skips the mayonnaise for a lush sauce made with almond milk and avocado to make an easy grilled vegetable pasta salad you’ll happily eat guilt-free.
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 10 Servings Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 30 Mins Total Time: 45 Mins
- 3 cups of sliced vegetables for roasting, such as:
- 1 small green zucchini, halved and sliced,
- 1 small yellow squash, halved and sliced,
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce package short pasta such as rotelle or penne
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup Almond Breeze almond milk original
- 6 ounces of pesto
- ½ lemon, juiced ½ cup
- halved kalamata olives
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts, pistachios, or sliced almonds
- Basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss the sliced veggies with olive oil and 1 teaspoon of both kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until the veggies soften and caramelize. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions, drain, rinse, and cool.
- Add the avocado to the blender jar and pulse a few times. Add the almond milk, pesto, lemon juice, and the remaining 1 teaspoon each of kosher salt and pepper. Blend on high until light and frothy. Add more almond milk if needed to create a lush sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to a large mixing bowl with the cooked veggies and kalamata olives. Drizzle with the avocado sauce and toss to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning, garnish with the Parmesan cheese, nuts and more basil leaves if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Will keep for 1-2 days.