Butternut Squash Chili
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
October 17th, 2018
This butternut squash chili is easy and fast (cooks in 30 minutes on the stove), and it’s a great way to incorporate fall favourites like butternut squash into your diet.
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 5 Servings Prep Time: 30 Mins Cook Time: 30 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
- 2 pounds butternut squash peeled and diced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans drained
- 15 ounce can pinto beans drained
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth plus 2 tablespoons for sautéing
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth in a 5-quart dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add garlic, chipotles, and butternut squash to the pot, cooking for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more vegetable broth if the pot gets dry.
- Add the bell pepper, cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes (including the liquid in the can), 1.5 cups vegetable broth, quinoa, and all of the spices (paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper). Mix well. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes. Check that the butternut squash is cooked; if not, simmer for longer.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro. Add toppings as desired — avocado chunks, tortilla chips, and cheese are all good ideas.