Apple Zucchini Muffins
Ottawa Athletic Club Recipe of the Week
October 24th, 2018
These healthy whole wheat zucchini muffins are easy to make, popular with kids and adults and use up that summer zucchini! They freeze well too!
See below for the full recipe.
You can also pick up a hard copy from our Welcome Desk.
Yield: 15 Servings Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 30 Mins
- 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp oil (melted coconut oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated apple (I use Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini, moisture slightly squeezed out
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple (I use Granny Smith)
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and all-spice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Do not over mix. Gently stir in the grated apple, zucchini, and chopped apples.
- To make the topping, combine turbinado sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir well.
- Fill the prepared muffin pan with muffin batter, filling each cup about 3/4 the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with cinnamon sugar topping. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.