15 things you probably didn’t know about OAC Summer Camps!
Summer is always an exciting time at the OAC because of our beloved camps! For 10 weeks, we host hundreds of happy campers providing them with a summer they will never forget! With so many camps to choose from, we have something for every child looking to stay active, healthy and learn some new skills while making friends and creating lasting memories. We believe it is important to teach children at a young age the value of sport and fitness – and what better way than by sending them to the Ottawa Athletic Club!
- OAC Camps have been around for 30 years!
- We have the lowest camper to counselor ratio in Ottawa, with 1 counselor for every 5 campers, supported by sporting professionals and certified lifeguards!
- Number One Canadian Female Squash competitor Sam Cornett attended OAC Squash camps when she was a young girl!
- The OAC is officially designated as a Tennis Development Centre by Tennis Canada. This means we are recognized on a national scale for the quality of our teaching staff, programming, player development history, and facilities!
- New this year, our Sports Camp (Ages 8-14) will include the Fitquest Sport Fundamentals program. Under the directorship of Chris Schwarz (Ottawa Senators Head Strength & Conditioning Coach) and other FitQuest coaches, this fun, daily segment will safely develop and challenge the young athlete’s fundamental movement skills through athletic based skills such as jumping, sprinting, throwing, catching, and gymnastics!
- Golf camp kids are bused out to Falcon Ridge Golf Course each day and where they get a chance to play a few holes on a real course every Wednesday!
- At Karate camp, campers will participate in a variety of karate games and activities designed to develop self-discipline, coordination, confidence, physical conditioning and self defense skills
- The past 4 summers, Ottawa Senator Marc Methot came to visit the campers, signed autographs, took pictures and participated in our half court challenge!
- Squash Camp head coach Ian Woodhead has worked with squash players who are/have been ranked in the World Top 50!
- All OAC Tennis Camps implement the Noble Tennis Methodology and a specific curriculum, tailored to each level of the camp program!
- Our Golf camps are instructed by PGA (Professional Golfers’ Association) of Canada staff, led by the 2016 Teacher of the Year (Ottawa Zone) Colin Orr.
- Our youngest Sports Campers receive daily Red Cross Swim lessons!
- Everyone looks forward to Fridays! On Friday afternoons we offer a variety of different shows including magic shows, reptile visitors, professional athletes, counselor challenges, and more! Fridays are also PIZZA DAY! Campers enjoy pizza and juice boxes every Friday the whole summer!
- At Golf camp we put out watermelons for the kids to aim at and see if they can break them apart!
- Everyday at Karate camp, the campers get supervised active free time. Some will choose to practice their karate kicks while others may choose to hit the heavy bag. This gives the children a chance to do what they enjoy the most!
Less than 100 days until we start back up again! We are really looking forward to welcoming all of our campers this summer — new and old — and we hope to give them an experience of a lifetime!